Monday, September 16, 2013

Canopy trim and drilling 1 hour 428 total

Today at work I tack welded the gusset onto the canopy bow. Once again I am redesigning the windshield/canopy bow design and instead of transferring the pushing and pulling of the canopy through the plexiglass and putting stress on the attachment holes, I welded a gusset from the bow down to the slider. This way the bow will be connected to the slider with a fastener rather than transferred through the glass. I also welded on two alignment tabs that will align the canopy with the windshield. Got home and fitted it up and I'm happy with it. 

I am going to mechanically fasten the canopy bow to the canopy as opposed to using the angle and adhesive to the windshield. The angle that holds the windshield to the windshield bow is an obtuse angle so it can't go anywhere when it is pulled on. The canopy is opposite and I'm afraid the adhesive wont hold up over time.   I drilled my canopy and cut the sides of it down where it meets the sliders. I deburred all of the holes in the glass and sanded the edges of the canopy smooth. I also cut out my forward canopy rest singer strips that will bolt onto the leading edge of the canopy. 

Next I will start drillinG the holes in the bow and get it ready for primer and paint. I will take it to work and finish welding it. Also will work on drilling my retainer strip and the trim piece at the slider

No comments:

Post a Comment