Tuesday, December 31, 2013
Today I worked on removing all of the plastic and step from last nights painting. I reassembled the removable panel mounts, installed the grounding terminal strip, installed the fuel pumps, and the f2 bulkhead. I insulated the firewall and inserted all of the instruments back into the freshly painted panel. I'm not a 100% sure I love the white! but everything I heard was to paint the interior a light color and the panel and glare shield a dark, flat color. We'll see. I will start my wiring tomorow with the wiring harness I made a month or so ago.
Monday, December 30, 2013
Sunday, December 29, 2013
Today I got a lot done. I finished fabricating my right wing gap fairings. The wings are now 99% complete. All I lack is mounting thr pitot tube and strobe lights. They are literally read to bolt on and fly. Almost. I then removed the wings and set them to the side. I fabricated the door that covers the fuse panel. I looked and looked for a latch that I liked and ended up going with a cabinet style magnet latch. I the completely disassembled the cockpit in preparation for painting. I vacuumed it all out and scotch brited all of the surfaces. I didn't realize how many pieces go into the cockpit. I then cleaned everything multiple time with acetone. After that I hung all of my panels that are removable for ease of painting. Very nervous but extremely excited.
Saturday, December 28, 2013
Today I worked on the right wingtip and trailing edge. I completed it then put the bondo on the underside of the wing root to fuselage fairing. After that dried, I sanded it down. I also started working on my right wing gap fairings. Once they are done, I am 100% done with my wings. I will then be able I remove them and finish work on the fuselage. I am planning on painting my interior early next week the wiring my panel following that.
Thursday, December 26, 2013
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
I received my wing tips and worked on mounting my left wingtip. I fit and trimmed the wingtip, then removed it and installed the anchor nuts. I trimmed the trailing edge of the wing tips and installed them prior to installing the tip. Once the tip was installed I had my dad help me move the stick to adjust the aileron pushrods to get the required travel. I am very close with a little fine tuning left to do. I also finished fabricating my right wing root to fuselage fairing. I clecoed it to the fuselage then removed it and deburred all holes and filed all edges. I clecos it in place and it is ready for riveting
Today I worked on mounting the right aileron Bellcrank on the wing. I drilled out the Bellcrank I mad previously to 5/16 and installed two nylon bushings. I cut, drilled and tapped my right aileron pushrod. I fabricated my control horns for my right aileron and mount them.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
Today I removed my instrument panel and glareshield. I removed all of the instruments and painted my panel. I put three coats of self etching priming followed by wet sanding with 600 grit. Then I applied several coats of spray on truck bed liner. I love the finish. I spray
My glare shield with flat black to prevent any reflections. I also cut and tapped one of my aileron pushrods and hooked it up to my left aileron. I fabricated the two control horns for my right aileron. I finished trimming my wing gap fairing for the left wing. I cut out the blank for the forward wing to fuselage fairing for the right side. I will form it at work tomorrow.
Saturday, December 21, 2013
Today I went and bought 30' of vinyl tubing and made a water level. A friend came over and we checked various points of the wings and horizontal stabilizer to ensure that both withs had the same angle of attack and were true with each other. I am happy with what we found. Everything looks to be in pretty good shape. After that I worked on one of the trailing edge wing to fuselage fairings. I completed that one and moved to the other wing. I mounted the aileron and started forming the fairings for the other side over a pipe. I clecoed the upper fairing to the fuselage then started mounting the lower one and trimmed.
Thursday, December 19, 2013
Tonight I worked on the Wing gap fairing. I already had the top one cut and deburred, I just had to drill and cleco it to the wing. My wing root leading edges stick out a bit past the leading edge of the wing section so I had to kind of form the leading edge fairing in place. I got the left one cut close. All that is left with it is final trimming and deburring. I also prepped my hinges that I was waiting on ups for. That entails shortening the hinge pin and installing safety wire in each end to prevent the pin from coming out. I had my kiddos help with removing some of the plastic
Sunday, December 15, 2013
Saturday, December 14, 2013
This morning I installed to wings to open up some other work until I get my engine. Once the wings were mounted I cut my aileron hinges and disassembled the to install that safety wire at the ends that keeps the pivot pin from coming out. I mounted the left aileron and aileron control horn. I will have to order the aluminum tubing that hooks the control horn to the aileron.