Today I built a wooden landing gear to set the airplane on and turned it right side up. Looks really cool. Looking like an airplane
Sunday, January 20, 2013
Today I worked on the remaining forward fuselage skins. I cut, drilled, trimmed, deburred, and filed smooth the remaining skins. I finally got all of the skins to the fuselage clecoed on minus the skin under the landing gear which I don't have yet. I also mounted the tailwheel spring.
Thursday, January 17, 2013
Tonight I trimmed the lower fuselage skin between the firewall and the landing gear. Then I clamped it to the longerons and drilled holes through the longerons. I removed the skin and deburred all of the holes and files the edges smooth. I will dimple the holes in the skin that fasten to the longerons next and countersink the longerons to accept a solid countersunk rivets to hold the skin until I fasten the side skins
Wednesday, January 16, 2013
Tonight I rough cut the front lower skin between the landing gear and the firewall. Then I drilled a row of rivet holes along the straight parts of the channel forward of the landing gear and along the firewall. I placed the skin on the plane and clecoed each one at the center line and worked outward. I predrilled the firewall bulkhead tabs and took ratchet straps and pulled the skin around the radius of the firewall. Then I back drilled the tabs on the firewall through the skin. I marked the raw edge of the tabs on the firewall to trim the skin to. Then I marked the edges of the front lower longerons to cut too. Next I will remove the skin, trim to my lines, then reinstall the skin and clamp the sides to the lower front longerons and drill the rest of the holes through the firewall and into the longerons
Tuesday, January 15, 2013
Sunday, January 13, 2013
Today I ran the other rudder cable, trim cable, and a polyethylene tube to run wire in for the tail light/strobe. I also deburred all of the rear fuselage skins and filed the edges smooth. I introduced my son to the deburring tool. He thought it was " fun". Glad he likes it. I reinstalled the skins with clecos then removed for some final trimming. After that I reinstalled the skins and am ready for riveting. I plan on riveting one of the side skins and the bottom skin then leaving the other side attached with clecos so I have access later if needed. I also fabricated the angle pieces that secure the rudder control cables at the rear of the fuselage.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Today I worked on running the elevator pushrod from the stick back to the area between f11 and f12 bulkheads. Took some time getting the bearings lined up so the pushrod slides effortlessly. I also got some nut plates from a friend and worked on attaching them to the inspection plate backers. I removed the rear skins and started deburring the fuselage. Next I will run my rudder cables and trim control