Follow by Email

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Panel gusset 1 hr

Last night I fabbed two gussets to sturdy the bottom of my panel bulkhead where it extends below my longerons.



Monday, May 6, 2013

Rudder cables 2 hrs

Tonight I dropped the location of the holes through the rear of the fuselage to give the rudder cables a straighter shot to the control horn. I also put the spindles in the cables and hooked them to the pedal and attached the springs.



Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rudder. 6 hrs- 361 total

Today I worked on my rudder. This was very time consuming to ensure that the rudder didn't have a twist in it. If I have to do it again I would build some sort of jig. I am please with how it turned out though. It has all been deburred and all I lack is forming the fairing and riveting it











Saturday, May 4, 2013

Instrument panel 6 hrs

Today I worked on the instrument panel and skin above. I decided to make a removable panel. I am doing this by cutting the middle of the bulkhead out and leaving about a 1" frame. I will make another solid piece that will mount around the 1" frame and allow me to remove the acorn nuts and pull the panel off of the studs on the bulkhead that has the frame. I cut the forming blocks for the panel and then I cut my bulkhead blank. After forming I mounted the uncut frame on the fuselage and started forming the skin above it. I wanted to wait on cutting the middle out so it would be easier to attach it to the skin and keep it straight and true. After I drilled my holes I cut the middle out and files the edges smooth and deburred. Now when I install the skin above it will pull the bulkhead to where it needs to be. I also installed a stiffening angle on the underside of the frame. Next, I will deburr the top skin and fabricate another panel that will have my instrument cut outs in it. I also formed the bottom cap piece of my rudder. I am ready to cut the skins and start skinning the rudder















Thursday, May 2, 2013

Riveting vert stab, rudder prep 2 hrs

Tonight I drilled the rest of the holes in the vertical stabilizer and riveted. I also made some cut out a doubler that is part of the rudder and got it filed smooth and ready to bend at work tomorrow. I cleaned the shop up a little bit.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Vert stab closure. 2 hrs

Tonight I formed the vertical stab closure out of a piece of 5/16 tubing. I made a drilling jig to ensure I hit the center of the tubing. I drilled the skin and tubing then clecoed. This method works much better than the bent and crimped piece of 020 aluminum.