Sunday, August 25, 2013

Windshield work continued 3 hours

Today I continued to work on my windshield. I am doing my windshield quite a bit different from what the plans show. First off, I am using 1/2" chromoly tubing as opposed to 3/8" aluminum tubing for my windshield and canopy bows.  I am doing this for two reasons. One, I want to add additional rollover protection in the event that my CX4 goes upside down on an off field landing. Two, i wanted to add some structural integrity to the bow so that I can use it to help pull myself out of the airplane by using the bow.  Another change I am making is the upper windshield retainers strip. The plans call for a retainer strip that is bolted into the bow through the plexiglass.  I wanted to eliminate as many holes through the glass as possible, so I added a flange to the aft side of the retainer strip that turns down the backside of the bow and rivets to the bow. It acts as a constant pressure clamp that clamps the windshield to the bow and uses a constant bead of sealant/adhesive to eliminate any movement. This eliminates a bunch of holes and potential for cracks in the windshield and canopy. 

     I finished cutting the retainer and did some filing and cleaning up edges and rounding corners on the notches. I got the entire piece drilled to the bows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment