Sunday, August 18, 2013

Windshield. 5 hrs. 411 total hrs

Today I worked on my windshield. I bought the plexiglass from Home Depot. Once I got it home I did my layout and cut my windshield out with an angle grinder. Then I cleaned the edges up with a file, then 100 grit sand paper, then 320 grit sand paper to ensure that there were no stress risers.   The pattern fits almost perfectly. There will be some trimming once I get my retainer fabricated and in place securing the bottom part of the windshield. Once I do that I will trim the top around the bow. It seems to most have used fiberglass to make the lower retainer due to the difficulty in making it out of metal, so I saw that as a challenge and tried out of metal. I did it just as the plans indicated and I think it went pretty well. Other than some hammer marks which are understandable considering you beat the piss out of it to get the curve, I'm pretty happy with it. Now I just have to make the second half. I also painted my motor mount. 

No comments:

Post a Comment